First farmed in the 1830’s as part of the Amos estate (the drawing on their wine label is by next door neighbor Sophie Amos), the first vines were planted in 1979 by John Austwick, a Hobart dentist who established it as the first of the modern east coast vineyard wineries.
On hand driven timber wine-making equipment originally from Moorilla Estate (now MONA), John produced his first vintage of 11 bottles in 1983 and his second of 500 bottles in 1984.
From 1985 he made commercially and established himself as a trailblazer in the Tasmanian wine industry. After his retirement, Sandy and Glen Travers bought Craigie Knowe in 2013 to do a ‘similar thing to John at a similar age’.
While modernizing the brand, their vision derives from a deep respect for the vines and their history. Sandy and Glen are working with local winemaker Matt Wood (Springvale) and viticulturalist Marty Smith to develop fruit driven Reserve wines over the next couple of years.
It’s great to see a wonderful old vineyard being rejuvenated by new caring hands.
Craigie Knowe is located at 80 Glen Gala Road, Cranbrook, which is about midway between Swansea and Bicheno.